Thursday, August 30, 2012

A Fate Worse Than Hate

I was looking at one of my favorite paintings today which happens to be one of my mom's that I begged her for. I don't think she particularly likes it - as a lot of artists feel about their earlier work. 

In fact, I'm going to go on a tangent here about something I heard the other day and could relate to. It was something an author said at a book reading in response to the question which of your books is your favorite. He said, "its always my most recent one," and then spoke about how he's always finding ways to fix things that frustrated him about the last book and improve. I feel the same way about most of my pieces. Happiest with the latest. But I digress... Anyway, so this painting of my mom's...

I was thinking about how I felt about it and why I liked it so much. I'm not going to go into the details, it was a personal thought train, but I noticed it had changed over time. I then started to think about other pieces that stuck out in my memory and there were only two types: ones I loved and ones I didn't like at all (I won't go as far as say hate, I rarely if ever hate art). I've seen a lot of paintings that I didn't care one way or the other about and can't remember a single one. But I can picture lots that I didn't like.

What this brought me to was the idea that with art, I prefer to be memorable than liked. And the reason for this isn't to be provocative or controversial, but just to interact with the viewer. I want people to stop with my pieces and think why they like it or why they don't. I want them to spend some time there and even if they read something completely opposite of what I intended, there was at least a connection and a conversation that took place between my work and them.

Anyway, you can probably file this post under things written when short on coffee or something to that effect but glad you shared this thought with me.

Now, I'm going to try and get some new photos up of some new pieces in the works. My reclaimed wood canvas project is going up for sale and I'll be posting pictures soon. If there is any interest in any of the pieces or you just want to tell me what you had for lunch, email me.  chase.spenst@gmail.com ...I had a sandwich by the way. 

Chase

No comments:

Post a Comment